Just got burned with a 1-star review? Here's what to do.
There are many ways to get reviews of your books.
– Offer to send review copies to book bloggers
– Arrange no-fee giveaways through community sites such as Goodreads.com and Librarything.com
– At the end of your book, ask readers nicely to consider posting a review
– Pay for distribution of copies through a PR-type service that does not guarantee positive reviews
– Pay for guaranteed positive reviews
– Create sock puppet accounts and post them yourself
– Trade reviews for entries in a giveaway* (*You can legitimately ask people to “Like” your Facebook page or re-tweet a message, or a number of things to get you publicity, but accepting reviews as entries is akin to paying for reviews.)
– Ask friends and family and other authors to post them* (*Some people feel this is unethical, but others feel it is not only legitimate, but expected. For example, many published books come with an endorsement blurb on the cover from another author.)