Just got burned with a 1-star review? Here's what to do.
You can and will get past this. Cheer up! Next week, you’ll probably get a much more upsetting review!
In the meantime:
– Read over your positive reviews, lingering over the best parts.
– Write some positive words to yourself and put them somewhere visible. Words have power. (Look at how much someone else’s words hurt you!) Now don’t laugh or feel embarrassed about being hippy-dippy. Seriously, write out some positive words and LOOK at them until you feel better.
– Read the low-starred reviews of popular books to remind yourself that it happens to everyone.
– If this is your very first critical review, accept that you’re going to have a ruined day. Yep, day ruined. You’re excused for the day.
– Buy a little treat to congratulate yourself on having passed yet another milestone on your author journey. You know who doesn’t have to worry about getting 1-star reviews? People who never write a book or get it published, that’s who.